Big Fish (2003)


"A frustrated son tries to determine the fact from fiction in his dying father's life."

- IMDB



Thank you, Tim Burton, for making this movie. While this isn't Burton's most iconic film, it's probably one of the greatest movies he's ever made and criminally underrated. I've never heard of this movie, never seen it, knew nothing before watching - so it was quite the surprise when I found myself sobbing at the end. As always, this Burton film is overflowing with a stellar cast, including the likes of Ewan McGregor, Jessica Lange, Helena Bonham Carter, & Albert Finney. I could also go on about all the symbolism that can be analyzed, but this is not that kind of review.


Big Fish is absolutely enchanting. Danny Elfman's score fits right in as we go through Edward's elaborate tales. And as ridiculous & unrealistic as Edward's stories are, there's always themes of love, friendship, & bravery. Real human emotion is displayed despite the fictional aspects. I was completely attached to every second. I connected with every character. And most importantly, I connected to the theme and the story on a much deeper level than I anticipated. 

JK Rowling once said "the stories we love best do live in us forever." This quote made me appreciate stories in a whole new way from the moment I heard those words. The message of Big Fish is exactly that. The final quote of the film itself is "A man tells his stories so many times that he becomes the stories. They live on after him, and in that way he becomes immortal." We are born, we live, we die, and then are forgotten in a blink of an eye. But when we die, how are we remembered? Not every person is celebrated for some extraordinary accomplishment. But that's what is so important about a good story. Take a second and think of a loved one you lost? If I asked, could you think of a good story to share about them? 


That final scene of Edward's funeral is one of the best in the movie. While we see all the characters that validate some truth to Edward's tales, we also see them tell stories about their dear friend, probably some tales we've heard before. And this touched me so deeply. I've lost people too, but I love telling others stories about them. Sharing their stories puts me back in the moment, as if I'm reliving and as if they're still around. And in that way, as Will said, they're immortal in that moment. Because "the stories we love best do live in us forever." If not by the whole world, then at least by the people who matter most to us. And this was what Big Fish was all about.



My Rating: ★★★★★★★★★☆