High School Musical - Double Feature

It has come to my attention that last year marked the 15th Anniversary for High School Musical 2. And I just feel really old now. I remember getting hyped with my friends that summer. HSM was a big deal that year. We all had merch. We all knew the songs. And we all wanted to be one of the characters. Years later, I not only appreciate these movies for nostalgic purposes, but also as genuinely good movies with meaningful themes, great music and choreography, iconic characters, and fabulous 2000s fashion. 

I don't really feel like watching the 3rd movie, so here's a Double Feature review for the first two High School Musical films to start the New Year off right.




"A popular high-school athlete and an academically-gifted girl get roles in the school musical and develop a friendship that threatens East High's social order."

IMDB


This film is all about the "Status Quo" and breaking out of it. This is a movie for kids, so this is a great theme for next gen High Schoolers. You don't have to be tied to one label, or any label really. A jock can also be a theater kid and nerd can be a dancer and so on. We can have different sides and still find a place to fit in as long as you hang out with the right friends. When you're good at and enjoy it, why not both? 

This also has a dash of the "you don't have to live your parents' dreams" theme as well. Troy's character, in this movie as well as the last one, struggles between choosing between Basketball and Theater.  Your life is your own, you shouldn't make decisions based on what your parents or peers think you should do. If they can't support you, you don't need them. Troy learning these real life lessons make this movie more than just a kids movie as these were lessons that I did not think about even as far as college. 

Of course, story aside, this movie is a huge nostalgic feast. With Zac Efron & Vanessa Hudgens at the helm carrying this movie, what's not to love, not to mention Ashley Tisdale, Corbin Bleu, Lucas Grabeel, Monique Coleman, and Olesya Rulin. (KayCee Stroh as Martha is also iconic) After all this time, I know every word to every song by heart, maybe even a few dance steps for All in This Together... I always have a blast watching it purely for nostalgic purposes, along with the fact that it's genuinely a well made Disney Channel Original Movie.



My Rating: ★★★★★★★★★★






"School's out for summer and the East High Wildcats are ready to make it the time of their lives after landing jobs in a wealthy country club owned by Sharpay and Ryan's family."

IMDB


Now the music for the first HSM was perfect. But there is just something about the sequel's songs that hit different. Maybe it goes with the summer vibe, but I find myself grooving more with HSM2. I also like how some of the other characters had some spotlights. Sharpay got her very own (and iconic) song. Ryan and Chad had their own song, which is great because I honestly felt both were underused in the first and they were really able to let their talents shine. Also, Zac Efron singing Bet On It is probably my favorite part of the whole trilogy.

The sequel takes us out of school and throws us into summer break at the Evans' family country club. While the summer vacation part is super fun, the whole story is once again about self discovery. First of all, Sharpay tries to sabotage all her classmates' summer and tries to hog Troy's attention. I think the best way to explain the whole thing is to watch the scene when Gabriella confronts her before the big break up song. Sharpay says "You're just upset that I won," and Gabriella is like "Won what?!?! What's the prize? You're very good at a game that I don't want to play." That gurl said it like it was & put that snobby blonde in her place.

The other side of this is Troy being dragged around working hard to make a good impression. At first he was just trying to not be mean. But as he was getting opportunities dangled in front of him, he fell into Sharpay's trap, isolated himself, and began changing to fit in the mold of success. Troy, like many others, was concerned about college and wanted to not waste opportunities to stay ahead in the world. But he was slowly changing himself to do this. He also confronts Sharpay and tells it like it is and is all like "I am more concerned with what my close friends think about me because even with great opportunities, I shouldn't have to change who I am to get them."

So yeah. Mixed with this fun, summer musical get away, there is deep life lessons, that are pretty relevant even 15 years later, to be learned. But at the end of the day...... The I Don't Dance sequence was actually kinda gay, ngl.



My Rating: ★★★★★★★★★★



Hollis Films Twitter

Friendly Fangirl Podcast YouTube