WandaVision - First Impressions


"Blends the style of classic sitcoms with the MCU, in which Wanda Maximoff and Vision - two super-powered beings living their ideal suburban lives - begin to suspect that everything is not as it seems."

- IMDB Synopsis



Now that WandaVision is over and I've seen every episode, I want to give my first dry impressions of this crazy experience of a show. MCU kicked off their Disney+ career right, I'll say that right now.

I've been following these characters closely like everyone else since their first appearance in Age of Ultron in 2015. I knew a bit from their stories in the comics, and even though a lot happened off screen, I stood by the development of their romantic relationship throughout the films. 

That being said, Vision's death was very heart crushing to watch. You just had to be there. After everything Wanda has gone through, I was rooting for her happy ending. She lost everybody, she deserved a win, just once. I was very emotionally invested in this show, it effected me deeply. I was on the edge of seat every episode, shedding tears because the irony of the happy environment of a sitcom didn't fool me. This show was messed up.


The finale had some great fights. Wanda's true Scarlet Witch costume is to die for! Many questions were answered, some were not, and the after credits honestly gave more questions. But this can't be the end of Wanda & Vision. There's still room for future stories and I'm interested to learn where the characters go after this crazy experience. 

Saying it again, you just had to be there. I heard theories on Mephisto and Agitha. I saw fans go insane after every episode answered questions with more questions. I mean, Evan Peters, need I say more? This show disturbed me, it surprised me, and made me think deeply during all the credits. Love it or hate it, this show was a journey. 


I don't know how many appreciated the aspect ratios of the different "eras" throughout the episodes. The Black & White episodes were one thing, and were shot quite beautifully. But that moment when the aspect ratio stretched from 1950s TV to 21st century Theatrical ratio was really cool. I also loved how practical the special effects were in the early episodes, reflecting many restrictions special effects had back then.

The citizens of  Westview honestly creeped me out a lot, which was awesome. Loved seeing the return of Monica, Darcy, and King Jimmy Woo (notice the close up magic he did in the first scene ???) Honestly, this wasn't the trio I expected or even asked for, but dang, loved seeing these guys. Evan Peters, don't even know what to say, but Thanks Disney. Kathryn Hahn was one heck of a surprise as "Agnes," talk about "I did not see that coming." I mean, I read the theories and an upcoming twist was so obvious from the start, but Hahn's performance was what really surprised me. She was so good!


Elizabeth Olson really stood out to me in terms of acting. I don't know what else to say except that she was really, really good. She might've grown up in the shadow of her sisters, but Wanda has really given her that path to a very successful acting career. Paul Bettany was of course really good as well. He's come along way from just being a voice over to a complex character on screen. One of my favorite scenes was the "rerun" of Wanda & Vision watching TV together right after the events of Age of Ultron. These actors know their characters so well they were able to place them back in time, and it genuinely felt like a scene that took place between Ultron and Civil War. It made me realize how much these characters changed from movie to movie, and I thought they did an excellent job of taking us back so seamlessly. 

Overall, this was an amazing, unique, television experience. Fan or not, there is nothing like this, and it deserves so much praise. Pacing is slow, but it honestly works in the show's favor because it makes you want more. The concept of the Sitcom tributes wasn't just a fun part of the show, but it also contributed to the story. And WandaVision has definitely broken the internet. Because they released episodes weekly, everyone talked about for literally two months. Marvel just stepped onto a new platform of story telling, and they own it now.


As much fun as this was, I am quite emotionally exhausted by the experience given how attached I was. I'm more than ready for Falcon & Winter Soldier. A nice action show centered around a bromance is all I need now to cleanse the soul.





My Rating: ★★★★★★★★★★