Dune (2021)


"Feature adaptation of Frank Herbert's science fiction novel, about the son of a noble family entrusted with the protection of the most valuable asset and most vital element in the galaxy."

- IMDB Synopsis



Dune is a remake of the original movie from 1984. From what I heard of that film, I can tell you right now that this latest adaption of the beloved book is much better. Honestly, what stands out to me is how much time we spend learning about this intricate established fictional universe. A film like this is at a risk of breaking the show-don't-tell rule in film making, but I'd say they did a good job with that. We're told some important facts via narration and the national geographic documentaries Paul watches. But we see for ourselves what the political climate is like in this world through the eyes of Paul and a few other characters. 


Not everyone would be too attracted to the slow burn that world building can be. But for people that are able to watch the extended Lord of the Rings trilogy in one sitting, this movie is a walk in the park. I, for one, knew very little about Dune & the story. I was very captivated by the world design and wanted to learn as much as I can. I was completely immersed and interested and confused throughout as we reached closer and closer to the climax of the movie. 

Throwing out some compliments to technical aspects of the film, overall it's a great film in the eyes of a film maker. It was filmed well and the CGI was as top notch as expected. The costumes and beautiful world & set designs were immersive and brought the cultures of the universe to life. The music... it was good, I loved. But if you heard screaming, it was probably 100 bagpipes blowing in your ear. The music often was the key to bringing intensity to the film and definitely kept my attention to this long movie. The length of the movie is long, but I'm not really sure what I'd cut out because it felt like the movie needed every scene, or at least a newcomer like myself did, to grasp the full concept of the story & characters.


Before I really new about what Dune was, I was initially drawn to the film by the stellar cast - Timothee Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Oscar Isaac, Jason Mamoa, Josh Brolin, Dave Bautista, Zendaya, Sharon Duncan-Brewster, and.... Stellan Skarsgard..... They all gave excellent performances and Chalamet was a great lead. 

This is a movie about a grand universe that should be celebrated by all Sci Fi fans. Overall, I'm interested enough to see the next film. Will be waiting patiently for Part Two.



My Rating: ★★★★★★★★☆☆