Seven Years In Tibet (1997)


"True story of Heinrich Harrer, an Austrian mountain climber who became friends with the Dalai Lama at the time of China's takeover of Tibet."

- IMDB



Discovering this movie excited me when seeing that the main cast included Brad Pitt, David Thewlis, BD Wong, & Mako. Even with Pitt's questionable accent, I rather enjoyed watching all of them in this movie, Pitt & Thewlis especially. I also enjoyed watching Jamyang Jamtsho Wangchuk as the Dalai Lama. 

This is a film based on a true story of a couple of Europeans making a life in Tibet. The first half of the film is the journey there and the other half of the film is focused on Heinrich Harrer's personal growth & relationship with the Dalai Lama. I loved learning about the Tibetan culture in this film. Tibet has interested me in the past. It's such a unique culture, very distinct form other Buddhist or Chinese cultures. Even thought it's a part of China, I always saw the region as separate just because it's just that different. As a Last Airbender fan, it's clear that Tibetan monks were a huge influence to the Air Nation. Not just culture wise, but their moral of choosing peace before violence, as well as not having an organized army in the face of invasion. (and did I mention Iroh himself is in this movie?)

Overall, this was a pretty good movie. Acting was great, filmography was great, score by John Williams was of course great, and I enjoyed this film very much.



My Rating: ★★★★★★★☆☆☆



Hollis Films Twitter

Friendly Fangirl Podcast YouTube