Disney Films - August Movie Club

It's my birthday and I'm celebrating by talking about some of my favorite Disney films.





"Lion prince Simba and his father are targeted by his bitter uncle, who wants to ascend the throne himself."

IMDB



Where do I even begin????

I guess from the first 20 seconds. The sun rises and you her aaaaaaaaaaaaa and you just know Disney peaked here. The Lion King is by far one of the greatest Disney Films of all time. First of all, the aesthetic of this movie just hits. Any fan art or professional art for the Lion King is always stunning. Artists just go all in for Lion King art and I love it. Even at Walt Disney World, looking around Animal Kingdom, Animal kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Lion King just makes everything better.

I think what really resonates with most people is how mature the story is. It's a bunch of talking animals but the target audience is not specifically kids. You look at past movies like Aristocats or Oliver and company - those are cute family fun animal movies. But the Lion King is serious... like.... the stampede. The murder. Simba's realization. Disney woke up and chose trauma this day, and we all felt that. This came with timeless life lessons very often quoted. Of course the classic - Hakuna Matata - which translates to "put your behind in your past." "The past can hurt, but you can either run from it or learn from it." "When we die we become the grass, and the antelope eat the grass." The one that hits me most is "remember who you are." Because in the everchanging life we live, we are who we are, take that as you will.

On top of the epic tale is one of the greatest film soundtracks I've ever heard in my life. Hans Zimmer peaked here. All the Light Touches gets me every time. And the iconic songs are you kidding me?!?!?!! The Circle of Life, Just Can't Wait To Be King, Be Prepared, Hakuna Matata, Can You Feel the Love Tonight - every song is a banger for no reason. 

This movie was completely revolutionary in more so than any other from the renaissance era. Just thinking about it – within the next several years Animal Kingdom was built, Disney's wildlife charity started, and to this day, Simba is still on an insane amount of merch. The legacy is there. And the lion king will always be my number 1.  


THE LION KING 1.5    This is a fun, not to be taken seriously, 4th wall breaking, Timone & Pumba adventure. It goes over their origin story while us giving us some more scenes with the bois and their time raising simba, which is adorable. Also the tunnel song is a banger. Is this movie canon? Possibly. Is it important? Not really. Is it a 10 out of 10 blockbuster masterpiece? Nah. It was totally made for kids. But I don’t mind watching it every once in a while. 


THE LION KING 2: SIMBA'S PRIDE    Dang, the sequel did not have to go that hard. The songs in this are just too good than they should for a sequel. And that whole segregation racism allegory going on gets deep. "What differences do you see?" I would say the only thing dragging the film down is Timone & Pumba. They don't have a purpose, they’re just there, simple comic relief. At least in the other movies they were genuine supporting characters. Although it all comes full circle when Simba says we gotta put the past behind us. In the end, Simba was willing to hakuna matata his kingdom to unity.  Anyways, I’ve loved the sequel since I was a kid. I still refuse to sleep on this sequel and I think you should give it a chance too.


My Rating: ★★★★★★★★★★





"In turn of the century London, a magical nanny employs music and adventure to help two neglected children become closer to their father."

IMDB



It's hard to not cry when watching this movie. Everything about hits. And there are 3 reasons why.

1. Julie Andrews. What a queen. her voice.... heavenly. I love her more than any human in the world. I feel blessed to have grown up with her in my life. And I never use the word 'blessed.' She's literally practically perfect in everyway.

2. The message. It's a fun message with Mary Poppins and the kids, but the film, Saving Mr. Banks, really opened my eyes to the soul theme of this film. e become adults and get wrapped up in the toxic seriousness of life, and it's easy to let it consume us. That's why there is such a mental health crisis. Mary Popping, through Mr. Banks, teaches us that it's okay to let go, to sing songs and speak silly words. Enjoying all colors of life, not stuck on the darkness of reality, and adopting the spirit of a child every once in a while. 

3. Walt Disney. This is HIS movie. Everything Walt Disney stood for is within the message I just wrote a paragraph about. Disney was the embodiment of the lifestyle we should all try out sometime. Imagination. Magic. Laughter. Love, Family. Going toward the technical aspects of the film - the animation, the hybrid scenes with live action, the animatronics. Disney passed away with the next few years after the release of this film. I truly believe his entire career led to this movie. And I feel that in every scene. He made sure this movie existed while he was alive. He handpicked Julie Andrews. His favorite song was 'Feed the Birds.' He's all over this move. It's overwhelming.


Shoutout to Mary Poppins Returns - it's a decent film, to say the least. Lin Manuel Miranda is always great. Emily Blunt wasn't too bad either. But honestly, you watch the film to get to Dick Van Dyke's scene. He stole the entire film with 120 second of free time. And I know for sure Julie Andrews was meant to be the balloon lady, but..... in retrospect... I'm absolutely overjoyed it was Angela Lansbury. That whole Nowhere To Go But Up finale was amazing. I sob every time unapologetically. Fine music, stellar costumes, a fin 2D animation sequence - I find myself enjoying this movie more than I expect to.



My Rating: ★★★★★★★★★★





"A fox named Tod and a hound named Copper vow to be best friends forever. But as Copper grows into a hunting dog, their unlikely friendship faces the ultimate test."

IMDB



This movie gave me so much trauma, I don't know why I watched it so much. You know how every kid has that one Disney movie they watch over and over? I definitely went though a Fox & the Hound phase with that. Trauma aside, it truly is an amazing story. An unlikely union of two friends from completely different worlds. It's obviously, before anything else, an allegory to racism. Todd & Copper were innocent children who were instant friends. We can always learn something from the eyes of children. No one is born a racist; it's something that is taught. Copper wasn't born a killer, it was what he was trained to do. And in the end, after all the drama, Todd & Copper remained friends. This is a tale that will take through all the emotions, definite underrated Disney movie for sure, and one of my favorites of all time.



My Rating: ★★★★★★★★★★





"A young linguist named Milo Thatch joins an intrepid group of explorers to find the mysterious lost continent of Atlantis."

IMDB



From the Disney Logo, I am just hyped to watch this movie. And if any animated film warranted a live action it's Treasure Planet and Atlantis. This movie has everything - exciting and interesting plot, dimensional lore, beautiful music, stellar animation and art design, talented voice acting, interesting and fun characters, comedy, drama, and all the nostalgia a 90s or 00s kid could ask for. 



My Rating: ★★★★★★★★★☆



Hollis Films Twitter

Friendly Fangirl Podcast YouTube