Ghibli Films - July Movie Club

A couple months back, I did a Ghibli movie club post where I highlighted a few Ghibli films that I watched. Here's a Part two follow up as I look back on some more Ghibli films.



"On a journey to find the cure for a Tatarigami's curse, Ashitaka finds himself in the middle of a war between the forest gods and Tatara, a mining colony. In this quest he also meets San, the Mononoke Hime."

- IMDB



There's is nothing I could compare this story too. There's blood and war mixed with magic and wonder. Supported by beautiful, breathtaking art & design, this is a fantasy adventure with the themes of peace & respect for nature at it's core. This is Miyazaki at his best. The two main characters, Ashitaka & San, are noble heroes, with San having such an iconic appearance good for any Ghibli cosplay. It's a sin not to include this film in your Ghibli marathon.


My Rating: ★★★★★★★☆☆☆



"During her family's move to the suburbs, a sullen 10-year-old girl wanders into a world ruled by gods, witches, and spirits, and where humans are changed into beasts."

- IMDB



This movie has to be considered the best the Studio has ever made. Even just within the music, there is such a different mood and emotion to the film that I haven't felt in any other Ghibli film, And I've seen them all. This is the Alice in Wonderland of Hayao Miyazaki's career. It's a beautiful, magical tale of spirits as a little girl finds bravery within herself to help her friends and go back home. Her relationship with Haku is so pure & sweet and is the heart of the final act of the film. I loved everything about the Bathhouse; the concept of this being a place for spirits to cleanse is so interesting. And of course the art style and world design is aesthetically pleasing to the gods; everything is beautiful to look at. This is why Spirited Away fan art is the crème de la crème of Ghibli fan art. 

This is literally my favorite movie of all time. Someday I should definitely write a full thesis as to why I love it. But I leave it for now and just say that a Ghibli marathon isn't a Ghibli marathon without this film.



My Rating: ★★★★★★★★★★



"A love story between a girl who loves reading books, and a boy who has previously checked out all of the library books she chooses."

- IMDB



I was honestly disappointed in this one. It was a cute story of a girl thrown into this weird universe of cats. It was fun, but because it was tied to the Baron, I had expectations going in that were not met. The Baron is such a fascinating, charismatic character. He was a joy to watch here. However, I would've preferred for this story to be a proper spin off relating to the original story from Whisper of the Heart. The snippet form Shizuku's original story was miles more interesting than this film. And I would've loved to see the Baron's true love incorporated in this.



My Rating: ★★★★★★☆☆☆☆



"When an unconfident young woman is cursed with an old body by a spiteful witch, her only chance of breaking the spell lies with a self-indulgent yet insecure young wizard and his companions in his legged, walking castle."

- IMDB



*sigh of relaxation* This is a breathtaking, magical love story. I usually spend the film swooning over Howl, though there are other elements to admire. I love how Sophie's whole arc is about finding the confidence and bravery within herself as she falls in love with Howl. Howl himself also has some depths and character development as he finds true love in Sophie. Calcifer is also super iconic and a total mood. The concept of the moving castle is also kind of cool. And underneath it all, there's big theme about war and consequences of war. Overall, it's a charming tale. Definitely my 2nd favorite Ghibli film right behind Spirited away. And the main theme is godlike. 



My Rating: ★★★★★★★★★☆



Hollis Films Twitter

Friendly Fangirl Podcast YouTube