Thor: Love & Thunder (2022)


"Thor enlists the help of Valkyrie, Korg and ex-girlfriend Jane Foster to fight Gorr the God Butcher, who intends to make the gods extinct."

- IMDB



First of all, did it live up to Ragnarök for me? No. Ragnarök was just the perfect movie for me - it had the perfect balance of fun action and humor and had the greatest cast. This movie was lacking a bit. But was it better than Dark World? Hell yes. Was it better than the first Thor? Meh, I go back and forth. Honestly, I expected it to be worse, so I enjoyed it more than I anticipated. It's just the MCU in a post-ENDGAME world is not the same. We've had some great projects, like WandaVision, but the vibes... they're just different.

I loved the idea of this city of the gods thing. They were useless, but the concept is fun. I think they made up a reason to allow Jane & those kids to have temporary godly powers. While this lead to some fun action scenes, they just threw an explanation around. But whatever. I loved the villain and his story here, but I'll talk about him in a second.


I did hope the Guardians of the Galaxy were in a bit more of the movie. More than 10 minutes at least. Maybe they worried the Guardians would over shadow Thor in his movie, because it did seem Thor was overshadowing them during their galactical guarding. But they seemed to hype the "Asguardians" concept at the end of ENDGAME, so I was little disappointed. I was glad they brought Jane back, purely because I hated how they dropped her character and forgot about her. At least there was a conclusive ending. Though I'm not sure why Thor just didn't wish for her health, but whatever. Lore in this film was kinda wacky. I was never attached to her to begin with so I'm not too upset. I thought Valkerie was underused here compared to Ragnorok. Korg, of course is perfect, but I almost walked out of the theater when he almost perished. But he's fine.

Cristian Bale as Gorr was phenomenal. He had a very logical motive and was very convincing. He was also very creepy. I feel like the MCU should not have been scaring me the way they have been in the last 2 months. First Wanda, now Gorr! Calm down! I loved it and Bale gave a great performance. And of course, Chris Hemsworth is Thor. And there's nothin more to add to that. 

While this wasn't the strongest Thor and/or MCU film, it was a solid installment, and I do hope for another. So the lame Thor Duology paired with the Taika trilogy? I like the idea of that. With the Last of Us story ending Thor's arc with him and his new daughter. Sounds like a good time to me. But we'll see.



My Rating: ★★★★★★★☆☆☆



Hollis Films Twitter

Friendly Fangirl Podcast YouTube