Much Ado About Nothing (2012)


"A modern retelling of Shakespeare's classic comedy about two pairs of lovers with different takes on romance and a way with words."

- IMDB



Honestly, I'm just here to bring awareness about this movie. It's a bunch of Whedonverse icons sitting around reading Shakespeare - Nathan Fillion, Clark Gregg, Amy Acker, Alexis Denishof, Reed Diamond, Sean Maher, Ashley Johnson, Tom Lenk. This will always be the primary reason to ever watch this rendition of the classical play. They all did a very good job and were all entertaining to watch.

Now, just a little criticism to Sir Shakespeare, but this is not my favorite work of his. It's like the first Hallmark romance, as in there was a little bit too much predictability for me. I'm not one for romance or rom-coms anyways, so it's hard to impress me with this genre.  I'll take Hamlet & King Lear any day! And I feel like there were some aspects disconnected to me. Like the brother, what was he on about?

The modernization of this classic tale... it's better than Romeo & Juliette... Though it feels weird still given some events in the play just doesn't happen that way these days. The black and white adds to an aesthetic and the setting of this house is quite beautiful. The film literally feels like Joss Whedon rented this vacation home & called his friends and invited anyone who was free for the weekend and filmed this entire play and was later like "how about we release this to the public?" And it kind of worked.


Anyways, consider this my PSA that the film exists. It's an average experience, but the cast carries the film and all of it's enjoyment.



My Rating: ★★★★★★★☆☆☆



Hollis Films Twitter

Friendly Fangirl Podcast YouTube