NOVEMBER WATCH PARTY - Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers (2022), Searching (2018), the Menu (2022)

I've really liked the Movie Club format I used for Ghibli & Disney movies here on the podcast, and thought I'd use it moving forward.... except for topics I have to write a thesis about. Welcome to my Watch Party Series!







"Thirty years after their popular television show ended, chipmunks Chip and Dale live very different lives. When a cast member from the original series mysteriously disappears, the pair must reunite to save their friend."

IMDB



Where do I even begin. 

I seriously don't know why I am talking about this because it's much more satisfying to watch the movie yourself. I knew going in that there were decent easter eggs to be found - from Jimmy Neutron, to Rick Rick and Morty, to Sora's hair.... Ugly Sonic takes the gold medal in terms of references. Disney actually made this meme a literal character...... What catches me so off guard is how Disney characters are portrayed. Disney is so strict... like SO strict with their franchises and how the characters are used. From theme parks to video games, you can't just do anything with a Disney character... unless they're featured in Chip & Dale's movie apparently. An old fat Peter Pan runs a mob with the Coca Cola bear & owns a factory where Shrek shampoo bottles are recycled into Porto Potties. And Chip says the word Hell. I wish I was making this up. Please please please watch this movie. It's actually insane. 


My Rating: ★★★★★★★★★★







"After his teenage daughter goes missing, a desperate father tries to find clues on her laptop."

IMDB



I seriously went in with low expectations just because I thought it would be cringe, but no. It's actually really well done. First of all, I read that while it looks like it's all screen capture of some sort, there was actually an animating team that created the viduals by hand. The filming also stands out for it's commitment to tell an entire story through camcorder or facetime. The story itself actually ended up being really intense, especially after his daughter was declared dead. I won't say more other than that. Just watch and experience the intensity for yourself. John Cho gave a great performance as a desperate father looking for his daughter in a movie that, overall, was a decent experience that I recommend. 



My Rating: ★★★★★★★★☆☆







"A young couple travels to a remote island to eat at an exclusive restaurant where the chef has prepared a lavish menu, with some shocking surprises."

IMDB



I don’t remember exactly what my expectations were for this movie, but I just remember when it was over, I shocked and didn’t know what to think. And I didn’t understand at that moment that the film would leave such an impression on me that I would think and talk about it for literally weeks. So. The Menu. You’re not mentally prepared for this experience.  

What is the Menu? The Menu is a thriller drama philosophical social commentary on the High Class featuring fine cuisine and a unique dining experience. That’s it.... That’s the movie. Through the several meal courses, we venture into the slimy personal lives of everyone present as their greedy sins are exposed creatively by Chef.  

Actually, that’s what it’s like watching this movie. I felt unnerved the entire time and I wasn’t even there. Don’t get me started on when Chef said Taco Tuesday like that. I found myself more and more uncomfortable and awkward just viewing this experience and taking in all the themes and plot – I'll tell you. Watching this movie will never be the same after the first time. That first Menu experience is a unique one. In the end, Margot finds an understanding with Chef, asks for a classic greasy American cheeseburger, and escapes the slaughter of the island. The credits role and you ask yourself, what the f just happened and why will I never look at smores the same way again.? 



My Rating: ★★★★★★★★☆☆



Hollis Films Twitter

Friendly Fangirl Podcast YouTube