MAY WATCH PARTY - Guns Akimbo (2019), the Hangover (2009), Infinity Train (2019)







"A guy relies on his newly-acquired gladiator skills to save his ex-girlfriend from kidnappers."

IMDB

 


As fan of the Hardcore Henry film and Daniel Radcliffe's bizarre career decisions - this film was right up my alley. The premise alone guaranteed a unique fun experience. Obviously I really loved Daniel in this role, but I also want to give a special shout out to Samara Weaving, who was the other highlight of the experience for me. Lots of awesome action, comedy that hits, excellent camera work that I swear was filmed with a drone at times - This is a perfect flik for a fun movie night with friends. 


My Rating: ★★★★★★★☆☆☆







"Three buddies wake up from a bachelor party in Las Vegas, with no memory of the previous night and the bachelor missing. They make their way around the city in order to find their friend before his wedding."

IMDB



I'm always a bit nervous going into comedy films as I have such a particular sense of humor. But if the cast is great and supported by a good story than the comedy aspect only enhances the experience. Thankfully the Hangover surprisingly met all of my requirements. Absurd humor is what I live for. This film had no shortage of that as the the three friends have to explore Vegas to find their friend after spending a night drugged and drunk and can't remember a thing. It was even sort of mystery as they had crazy confrontations - all out of context thanks to their memory loss - and it made for some golden moments.... like Chow jumping out of the trunk of the car completely naked...

Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, and Zach Galifianakis worked so well together as this chaotic trio of getting things done. And I-ll admit - I was ready to hate Ken Jeong as Chow but I didn't. He was genuinely hilarious. I ended up watching the whole trilogy. While the sequels were not as good, they were were still enjoyable to some extent. I even liked the last one, which I was also really ready to hate. If you don't watch all three, at least watch the first. And remember - what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas...



My Rating: ★★★★★★★☆☆☆







"Various people get trapped on a mysterious train with an endless number of cars, each one being its own universe, and they must resolve their psychological trauma and emotional issues in order to get home in this animated anthology series."

IMDB



Okay, now hear me out. I know Infinity Train is series, but you should totally watch every season like it's own movie. Every Season has 10 episodes, and every episode is 10 minutes long. It will literally only take a couple hours to watch a whole season - so why not as a "movie"?

Speaking on the first season specifically - The first real episode gave me all the feels. I don’t know, I just felt like I was on the cusp of greatness. We got a real beginning for Tulip and was introduced to One One who is like a dual personality voiced by a guy who sounds like he’s trying to do impressions of Taika Waititi and Alan Rickman and I absolutely stan. There were some interesting concepts introduced to us this first season. Um.... like those vhs memory tapes.... yeah, we totally see how those are made later, it’s honestly so weird. The mirror car really accelerated the pacing of this adventure with the intense introduction of Mirror Tulip and the mirror police. The play gym car was all sorts of menacing and ended with the beginning of the climax with the "conductor" reveal and ATTICUS IS TURNED INTO WIERD BUG THING. Like what ever were those things for real!!! 

I really don’t want to spoil much of this series to you. Every season is so short, so these climactic episodes at the end of every season are extra special.  The rest of the show is ingenious. The concept of the train cars - they were basically able to anything they wanted and it was always fascinating. All the characters had depth to them, even my least favorite, there were always layers to unpack. Every season is fun and games until the last few episodes. You get hit - hit hard - with so much story, emotion, action, and surprises. I was never ever prepared for the season endings.  

Please please please watch this. It’ll literally take you 6 hours for the superior 3 seasons. It’s so worth a watch and deserves much more recognition. This was storytelling and animation at it’s finest and it’ll be an experience I think about for years to come. 



My Rating: ★★★★★★★★★☆



Hollis Films Twitter

Friendly Fangirl Podcast YouTube