Scary Stories To Tell In the Dark (2019)

 

IMDB.com

"On Halloween 1968, Stella and her two friends meet a mysterious drifter, Ramón, and uncover a sinister notebook of stories."

- IMDB Synopsis



The very first thing that caught my attention was the the the opening line: 

"Stories heal. Stories hurt. If we repeat them often enough, they become real. They make us who we are. They have such power, This, I learned, on the very last autumn of our childhood."

Now, not saying I found this film profound, but this quote really stood out to me and I really appreciate it. What was profound was the lead actress, Zoe Colletti, as Stella. Not that this film needed superb performances, but hers was. I hope she has a successful career ahead of her because she put so much emotion toward her character, emotion I didn't want or needed. Colletti has so much potential and I would love to see her in another film that could really let her show her talents.

IMDB.com

Actually not bad as far as horror films go. cliffhanger, seriously? That being said, the big let down of the movie was all the unnecessary exposition with the characters. Thankfully those scenes didn't overstay their welcome, but I honestly didn't find myself caring or rooting for any of the characters. A little backstory is okay, but when it comes to horror films, I'm ready to get scared, not to get bored. There was enough balance in the film, and as far as bad horror movies go, this actually wasn't that bad. It's not a go-to Halloween flick, but I at least enjoyed. But that cliffhanger at the end- really? I don't care, just end it.

I own the books in which this film was based off of. I did recognize some references and stories, and I thought this film had a creative take on the original source material. And I actually got scared. The creatures were creepy and disturbing - total nightmare fuel. There were cheep jump scares, of course, but Scary Stories did the scary stories justice, at least for me.





My Rating: ★★★★★★☆☆☆☆