Luca (2021)


"On the Italian Riviera, an unlikely but strong friendship grows between a human being and a sea monster disguised as a human."

- IMDB Synopsis



It is a literal crime that we couldn't see these vibrant colors on the big screen. Nonetheless, Luca was very beautiful to look at. Between the coloring and art style, I knew just by the trailers that this film would stand out amongst the rest. The lighting achieved here also added to the wonderful detail that 3d animation is able to achieve. It wasn't just the artwork, though. The music also did a great job of immersing us in this Italian atmosphere

While this isn't one of Pixar's most emotional titles, it was still a charming tale of friendship. It's an instant classic, but I fear, like last year's Onward, it will fly under everyone's radar, especially since it wasn't a theatrical release. I loved the daydream sequences; they were very reminiscent to the director's Pixar short, La Luna. Those scenes were just beautiful animations and very aesthetically pleasing. The characters were also extremely likeable. Each member of the little trio had different stories and personalities, but their bond was the heart of the film. 


Luca is not my favorite of all time or anything, but I'd love to watch it again. The art style and the cultural aspects really kept my attention. Don't even get me started on the underwater sequences. The designs of the "sea monster" race were spectacular. Will definitely enjoy Luca for years to come. Might even get a pin for it at Disney World. 

Also, on a final note, I read a really good article on the subject of people interpreting Luca as a gay love story. Here's what I think - it's open to interpretation. Bottom line, Luca tells the tale to two people who were different. They then become friends of someone who accepted they were different. This sea monster thing can be used as an analogy for anything that makes people different. Not just sexuality, but race or economic status. My initial viewing, I only saw it as a story about friendship, no romance implied at all. But others might interpret in differently, and that's okay.



My Rating: ★★★★★★★★☆☆