It: Chapter 2 (2019)


"Twenty-seven years after their first encounter with the terrifying Pennywise, the Losers Club have grown up and moved away, until a devastating phone call brings them back."

- IMDB Synopsis



I saw this in theaters when it first came out. I had no idea what to expect, but sure didn't expect to laugh as much as I did. This movie is more funny than scary, if I'm being honest. I was in tears a few times. However, there were a couple moments that made me feel uncomfortable or disturbed. I know there was that whole trailer with the disgusting old lady, but every time I see that scene, I'm horrified. I'm also very claustrophobic, and there were two instances that messed with that fear of mine as well. 


The visual casting of the grown up losers is literally phenomenal. Specifically with James Ransone as Eddie, Jay Ryan as Ben, and even Andy Bean as Stan. The adults did so well in passing on some key traits their childhood counterparts had. Eddie is hands down my favorite and always will be. His trip to the pharmacy and his encounter with Bowers live in my mind rent free. 

This was a pretty solid sequel to the first. It carries that same pattern of being a movie about horror whilst also being a coming of age story in a sense that now they're "of age," how do they deal with their childhood traumas? I laughed, I cried, I succumbed to a few jump scares, it's a great time. However I would say it was a bit too long. This film is very lore heavy and several scenes could've been cut to help give a more steady pacing. The first movie did great with that. And I don't think I'd ever watch Chapter 2 without watching Chapter 1 first, but I would love to watch Chapter 1 without the need to watch the sequel. (if that makes sense)


My overall It experience has been super fun. I even went back to watch the original, and though I didn't like it as much, I still enjoyed the aspects I did like. I love the Losers. I think they're a fun group of characters with diverse personalities and interesting stories, bonded together by that iconic clown we all know and love. These It films are now a staple in my yearly Halloween experience and I'm more than willing to argue Pennywise to be one of the greatest horror villains of all time.


Check out my It comparison of the old & new - Pennywise vs Pennywise here.



My Rating: ★★★★★★★★★★