Hunger Games - the Mockingjay Experience


"Katniss Everdeen is in District 13 after she shatters the games forever. Under the leadership of President Coin and the advice of her trusted friends, Katniss spreads her wings as she fights to save Peeta and a nation moved by her courage."

- IMDB



Alright folks. let's get the negative stuff over with. You & I both know how exhausting the love triangle can get. It's all Gale fault. As an individual character, he's a pretty solid, dependable dude. But his whing is irksome. Don't sit there and complain to Katniss about something you don't understand. You know how ruthless the Capitol is. Don't be biased and call Peeta a traitor. Peeta is a sweet cinnamon roll that needs to be nurtured and protected. And Katniss obviously needs him for sanity purposes. I've already mentioned in my last review about the whole survivors bond thing and Mockingjay really goes in deeper with this. Love triangle shmove triangle. Gale is literally awful.


Mockingjay Part 1 isn't as bad, as say, Deathly Hallows Part 1. There's enough action & intensity spread out as the final battle that takes place in Part 2 builds up. I love that this part is focused on the rebellion for the most part. There are several scenes showing other districts doing their part in fighting against the Capitol. The Hanging Tree scene literally gives me chills as Katniss singing transitions into the Rebels singing the same song and then attacking the Peace Keepers in an epic way. One of my other favorite parts was Finnick spilling the beans of Snow's secrets as a rescue team infiltrated the Capitol to find the Tributes. This was followed by a very emotional ending. Loved seeing Finnick & Annie reunited. Also a very beaten Johanna makes me sad, but it's still great to see her sass hasn't gone anywhere. 

But Peeta... I just need you to know that most of my PTSD from the series revolves around my insane emotional attachment to Peeta. I can't stand the thought of him being this psychotic madman who attempted to murder his true love. It's heartbreaking for me. 



My Rating: ★★★★★★☆☆☆☆




"Katniss and a team of rebels from District 13 prepare for the final battle that will decide the fate of Panem."

- IMDB



"Ladies & Gentleman, welcome to the 76th Hunger Games!"

Let's get Gale out of the way. This is when he shows how the Victors know how the real Game is played. And in the end, Katniss literally said "Bye Felicia," and that was the end of that. Good riddance. 

Part 2 is when everything comes full circle. The rebellion is coming to end, the final battle ensues, and the Capitol falls. The film has a solid beginning, middle, and end - final days in District 13, Katniss's assassination mission & the "76th Hunger Games," and the beginning of a new era. This side of Mockingjay also iterates the shadiness of Coin a bit more, though still very subtle. It's enough to make that final decision in the end, and it does make for an interesting case study about corrupt leaders. Coin's enthusiasm about the "symbolic Hunger Games" is definitely the largest red flag.  And this is what leads to the final act.


The way this final act happens is word for word how it happened in the book. Honestly, Katniss's assassination was probably the right call. Katniss knew Snow inside and out, and saw reflections of his darkness in Coin in a different way. Taking her out without any interference while letting the mob take out Snow was a genius way to end things, and also very shocking. Then Katniss goes home. And it's over just like that.

During the aftermath, Katniss deals with her sister's grief in a very heartbreaking scene where she yells at the cat. Then Peeta returns as his true self. He stopped Katniss from killing herself during the execution, and now he can return to Katniss and begin the rest of their lives together. The love tringle is over. And it's a conclusive ending. (which I'm happy about because we see broken depressed Peeta for most of this movie it makes me really really sad)


I really love how the series concluded. I like how Panem was able to establish a democracy. I love how Haymitch and his adopted Tribute kids can live peacefully for the rest of their lives. I like to imagine him being the goofy drunk uncle to Katniss & Peeta's children. That image fills my heart with glee. And from our knowledge of other characters, like Effie or Katniss's mom, even Gale, I'm super satisfied with everyone's ending.

Except Finnick. Dude. Why? It's like Tonks from Harry Potter. Like you literally didn't have to be there. I appreciate you being Peeta's buddy and all, but you could've sat this one out and everyone would've been happy. Especially Annie, And especially me. It was unnecessary and it gave trauma. 


Several years after Mockingjay Part 2, I'm happy to say that my Hunger Games marathon was still enjoyable. As movie adaptions, not only are they really accurate, but are great stand alone films. Great cast, great music, great costuming, great set design, great cinematography (depending on who you ask), and an overall great story and experience that I would recommend to everyone.



My Rating: ★★★★★★★★☆☆



Hollis Films Twitter