The Huger Games (2012)


"Katniss Everdeen voluntarily takes her younger sister's place in the Hunger Games: a televised competition in which two teenagers from each of the twelve Districts of Panem are chosen at random to fight to the death."

- IMDB



Just going to jump into the philosophy real quick. The message the movie had about how far humanity will go with hate and cruelty was so empowering. The whole idea of the Hunger Games shows that in dire moments, humans will do anything to survive, including a child killing a child. The first book/movie sets the environment and feelings of a world that could easily be our own someday (maybe not exactly), while the rest of the series is this epic rebellion against a dystopian dictatorship. This first installment does so well establishing the cultures of the districts versus the capitol. And the scenes with President Snow give insight on what corrupt leaders of power will do to to maintain control and to paint a façade that how things are are how they should be.

Controversial opinion, but in my mind, I place Katniss as a cultural icon right up there with Harry Potter or Luke Skywalker. From the braid to the pin to her archery and to her entire personality, she is an icon. Her story is epic. Though she started off as most other victors - starving and poor - what made her stand out immediately was her selfless act to save her sister. And despite not being much of a people person, she still found a way to connect with others. Her story and character development become more interesting and complex down the line, but this was a fine introduction to the series' main protagonist.


My favorite character in the whole series is definitely Haymitch. I just really fall for ironic characters who seem comedic or ridiculous on the outside while having deep, emotional scars caused by a traumatic backstory. Haymitch has this duality to him as well as he's introduced as this drunkard with dark humor and is seen throughout to actually be caring and even hopeful. The PTSD from his Hunger Games and watching 46 mentee tributes die has made him bitter. But Katniss comes along with something special. He actually believes she could win, and we see more sides of him open up as these Games commence. Oh, and it definitely helps that he's portrayed by Woody Harrelson in these films.

Several scenes always stand out in my mind. Of course Katniss volunteering and Rue's death sequence were amongst the most emotional. Cinna's "I'd bet on you" moment hits every time as well. "Thank you for your consideration" is such an iconic Katniss moment. The Bloodbath at the start of the games was so well done. The silence and the chaos as the first deaths occur made for such an intense moment. The ending of this first chapter was also satisfying as it conclusively ends with much more promised in the future. As Haymitch knows too well, you can leave the Hunger Games as a victor, but the Games never leave you. 


I will never forget my first Hunger Games experience. It was a fun movie night with all my high school friends. I had one friend dramatically cry loudly during Rue's death so I laughed way more than I should have. Later, I'd decide to read all the books, and therein lies the beginning of an obsession that I was very emotionally invested in. While it's been about 10 whole years since the film's initial release, I'm happy to say that, after my recent viewing, the Hunger Games still holds up as a unique experience that I still enjoy.


Be sure to check out my reviews for Catching Fire & Mockingjay !



My Rating: ★★★★★★★★☆☆