Turning Red (2022)


"A 13-year-old girl named Meilin turns into a giant red panda whenever she gets too excited."

- IMDB



Well I finally got around to watching Turning Red. It's taken so long for me but I was always excited for this film. I was even more interested after hearing the backlash the film received. I love it when people make a dramatic controversy over a Disney film. 


Anyways, after spending so long reading others' opinions, I've officially formed my own. And I gotta start off by discussing one clear fact right here and now. This film was made for a very specific audience - and I don't mean children or adults or anything in between. If you spent any significant amount of time of your childhood and/or pre-teen years between 2000-20009, like myself, this is a movie made for you. Between the character that wore butterfly clips & ugg boots and the Tamagotchi that Mei carried around, there were so many little easter eggs to the 2000s culture and I felt very exposed watching this film. 

I also want to express my awe in the bold decision made to throw the puberty topic in several scenes. Over dramatic parents complained about this because the Disney expectation fans have typically excludes such topics from family films, even though most Disney animated films have darker themes layered under their fantasy aspects. This is a topic that should, in general, be normalized not stigmatized. Pre-teen girls are finally being represented. This was a coming of age story that I very much related to. I also had a mom that embarrassed me during this point of my life; Mei's story is honestly completely average aside from the Red Panda thing. Every woman in the world should be able to relate to Mei even slightly. We've all been there... My only solution to those parents who hated this is to wait until your children approach middle school age to watch this movie with them? 

Now those that love and support the movie always gush about the Generational Trauma theme that this movie perfectly depicts. And I agree. Again, those opposing this movie have also complained about Mei's rebellious journey as she begins to disrespect her mom. Well, I'm sorry, but if I saw my mom curl up in a ball or shutter at the mere mention of her own mother the way Ming did, I'd lose respect for her too. Ming's mother claims that Ming's "red panda ruined our relationship." So that's why Ming is legitimately afraid of you? Generational trauma. Mei's journey is all about not worrying about whether you'd be good enough for the people around you or not. This is yet another Disney film that I wish I had to watch when I was going through adolescence. 


Is Turning Red Good or Bad? Well it's pretty solid. Not one of my favorites, but it's yet another Disney film using fictional means to teach a very important life lesson, which seems to be a trend in the studio as of late and I'm all for it. The animation style is very unique. The story and characters are fun and quirky. And I love the Chinese culture aspects. Director Domee Shi has done such a good job and I'm happy for her successful career at the Disney company.



My Rating: ★★★★★★★☆☆☆



Hollis Films Twitter