The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel


"British retirees travel to India to take up residence in what they believe is a newly restored hotel. Less luxurious than advertised, the Marigold Hotel nevertheless slowly begins to charm in unexpected ways."

- IMDB



When I saw that the cast included British royals like Maggie Smith, Judi Dench, & Bill Nighy as well as my boy Dev Patel, of course I was going to add these movies to my list. These very seasoned actors in one place in a British comedy film about a bunch of old British geysers going to India was a premise good enough for me to be curious.

This movie has many merits. Though it's not an award winning, showstopping, spectacular, it's still a very chill comedy good enough for a casual viewing. As funny as it was seeing the main characters out of their element as they accustom to this exotic land and culture, the actual Indian culture is quite interesting. I, myself, may be too claustrophobic and socially anxious to properly have a good time here, but I am still fascinated how India is just so different from the rest of the world. Many aspects of the people & culture are hardly comparable to any other. And I always enjoy films that take place here.

A major theme I got from the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel was that it's never too late for change. As the Hotel manager comes of age and becomes more determined to fight back against expectations to achieve his dreams, the elderly visitors also have a life changing experiences. From the retired couple who may no longer be compatible for marriage anymore, to the widow who is trying to find her footing in this new chapter of hers, and to the gay man who came with a mission to find an old lover. These people have lived lifetimes and, during their stay, have opened their eyes to new ideas and ways of life and it's a charming tale to be sure. 



The Sequel

I did enjoy the first film enough for me to want to watch the sequel. I was a bit curious how things went on from the ending, so why not? It was a pretty solid sequel. These movies are just a low key version of the Golden Girls. There was much more focus on Maggie Smith's character. It was very implied that her character was on Death's doorstep. It genuinely choked me up, but it could honestly be because I'm a Harry Potter fan and kept wondering if, when Smith does pass, would there be a mega shrine a King's Cross like when Alan Rickman passed. 


Overall, not too bad. Nice music, phenomenal casting, little bit humor here & a bit of Romance there. A nice duology for a chill movie night.



My Rating: ★★★★★★★☆☆☆



Hollis Films Twitter

Friendly Fangirl Podcast YouTube