Timothée Chalamet - Double Feature

I've been following Timothée's career for a few years as he made it as the next Rising Star. But I think since Dune, it's safe to say he's an official super star now, with an Oscar nomination already in his pocket. So I've decided to go back and watch the 2 films that made me avert my gaze to him in the first place and really see how this young actor became such a big deal. 




"Based on the best-selling pair of memoirs from father and son David and Nic Sheff, Beautiful Boy chronicles the heartbreaking and inspiring experience of survival, relapse and recovery in a family coping with addiction over many years."

- IMDB


This was a gut wrenching story. Mostly because it was sad to watch Nic go through the ups & downs of addiction recovery. Through flash backs, we see what a sweet boy he was and how close of a relationship he has with his father. It makes David's desperation to help his son hit that much harder, especially when Nic, himself, has moments of regret over his actions and wishes he could stop when he just couldn't. The story really shined a light on the brutality of drug use and how hard it is to get out of it. It was heartbreak after heartbreak. When it seemed Nic was finally at a good place, he just "crashed in the same car" again.

I was unsatisfied with the ending at first as I didn't know it was based on a true story until the credits. I was then happy to hear that Nic Scheff eventually found his way and has lived a happy, sober life since. The near death experience brought Nic to rehab once more, as well as back into his father's arms. It makes you sad to think about all the others like Nic who weren't able to take themselves out of the drug hell they put themselves in.

The cast really brought the emotion home. Of course, Chalamet was the perfect Nic (also looks a bit like the real life Nic, so great visual casting). Chalemet portrayed a sad, lost young boy. While Steve Carell's performance was powerful as he portrayed the desperate father frustrated at the decisions of his son, who he loves so dearly. I also want tot shout out Jack Dylan Grazer who portrayed a younger Nic. It's ironic just as I was thinking how recent photos of Finn Wolfhard gave me Chalamet vibes when both Wolfhard and Grazer starred in the latest It movies together.



My Rating: ★★★★★★★★☆☆




"In 1980s Italy, romance blossoms between a seventeen-year-old student and the older man hired as his father's research assistant."

IMDB


Alright, here it is. The big Oscar worthy performance. What did I think? Well if I were to give Chalamet an Oscar nom for a performance, I'd choose Beautiful boy before Call Me By Your Name. However, he still gave an emotionally driven performance in this film. Chalamet & his co-star, Armie Hammer, had such great chemistry together and perfectly portrayed the story of a beautiful summer romance. I also want to shout out to Michael Stuhlbarg as Mr. Perlman; I enjoyed watching him in this movie.

Speaking of the dad, I loved the little speech he gave to his son at toward the end of the film. I first watched this film in June and Call Me By Your Name is a perfect film to watch during Pride Month. I loved how supportive the parents were as Elio struggled in his coming of age story & developed this complex romance with Oliver. 

Overall, this was a nice film. I loved the setting in summertime Italy. The screenplay was well written and the music was good. And a wonderful break out performance by Timothée Chalamet.



My Rating: ★★★★★★★★☆☆



Hollis Films Twitter

Friendly Fangirl Podcast YouTube