Deadpool & Wolverine - First Impressions!


"Wolverine is recovering from his injuries when he crosses paths with the loudmouth Deadpool. They team up to defeat a common enemy."

- IMDB


 








First Impressions. I literally haven't had time to think any of my thoughts through. I've been so unbelievably hyped for this film and I'm so overwhelmed that it is here and that I've seen it.

To Deadpool Fans - this was indeed a Deadpool movie. The violence, epic fight scenes, the comedy, the vibes, Ryan Reynolds - everything that made the first two Deadpool movies great was all here. 

To X-Men Fans - Hugh Jackman truly is THE X Man and proved it in this film. 24 years and he's still got it. Honestly, any time I was emotional it was because of him. What a real treat it was to see him on such a legendary scale. 

To MCU Fans - This fits within the grand scheme of things but it really stands on it's own. The MCU is everywhere in terms of references and having background knowledge, at least from Loki, is helpful but not necessary. The movie stood on it's own without it and that's honestly a good thing. 

We gotta talk cameos. Obviously the inclusion of Blade and Laura was outstanding. Happy's scene was a delight. But wow.... applause for Chris Evans. He Quick Silvered us with his Torch cameo and that was a huge highlight of the film for me.

I also want to shout out Matthew MacFadyen who has been an obsession of mine literally for several months now. I was sold on Deadpool and Wolverine years ago but Matthew being in that first trailer shook me. His character of Paradox was basically a more unhinged British Tom Wambsgans and it was a pleasure seeing him be a small part of such a phenomenal movie.

Again, Deadpool brings the best and most gruesome fights. Top 3 for me easily had to be the Intro Credits fight, Deadpool vs Wolverine in the car, and the Battle of the Deadpool Variants. Those variants.... that was so much fun. Shoutout to Welshpool. My great grandfather was born in Greece and raised in Wales and we still have family there so I took this variant personally lol.


It's ironic how this film was Deadpool's welcome to the MCU, but it also felt like a perfect ending. Logan was already a good ending, but this movie gave the character a happy ending. It left things open in case any character wanted to return, but it was also a solid ending altogether. 

This is the end of my Marvel experience. Since ENDGAME I've ben trying to find an ending to my future Marvel marathons. My finale is Deadpool & Wolverine. I've loved many projects that has released in the last 5 years, but I've lost so much interest. I was really hanging on to the threads of Loki, Scarlet Witch, and the Guardians of the Galaxy. Deadpool & Wolverine was the final line for me and I couldn't be happier. I'm satisfied with how this movie turned out. It was such a joy to experience a movie that has literally been 24 years in the making.

Thank you Ryan for fighting so hard to bring Deadpool to life. You created 3 masterful films. This is your legacy.

Thank you Hugh Jackman. You've been this character literally my entire life. Fans do not have enough words to describe how much you mean to us. We love you 3000.



My Rating: ★★★★★★★★★★



Hollis Films Twitter

Friendly Fangirl Podcast YouTube