JULY WATCH PARTY - Get Out (2017), One Hour Photo (2002), Zodiac (2007)

**SPOILER ALERT**





"A young African-American visits his white girlfriend's parents for the weekend, where his simmering uneasiness about their reception of him eventually reaches a boiling point."

IMDB

 


Dang. That was a solid film.

I have seen Jordan Peele's Us and Nope, but I only just now got to the film that made all of us know who Jordan Peele was. Get Out is a psychological thriller that follows a black man that gets caught in the shenanigans of a crazy white people cult. I really applaud Jordan's story and his concept of hypnotism. They're not making slaves - they're making vessels. While to me, Us is the superior film compared to Get Out and Nope, this film was still a phenomenal way to make a directorial debut and an Oscar for best screenplay was very well deserved. 


My Rating: ★★★★★★★☆☆☆






"A mentally unstable photo developer targets an upper middle-class family after his obsession with them becomes more sick and disturbing than any of them could imagine."

IMDB



Robin Williams is obviously known for his comedic and charismatic characters. But in this Lifetime quality drama, he proves he can a bit more. Robin made me super uncomfortable in this film. Granted his character was essentially harmless though very weird - explained through a couple of lines dropped that hinted at a darker backstory.... If your a fan of Robin Williams, this is definitely worth a watch. But again... bro.... I was seriously uncomfortable the entire time. So be prepared for that. 



My Rating: ★★★★★★☆☆☆☆







"Between 1968 and 1983, a San Francisco cartoonist becomes an amateur detective obsessed with tracking down the Zodiac Killer, an unidentified individual who terrorizes Northern California with a killing spree."

IMDB



Zodiac is well over 2 hours but for some reason it didn't feel like it. I honestly feel like I should've found the movie boring but I didn't, though I wasn't exactly glued to screen watching it either. It was literally like I was chillaxing watching these guys investigate the Zodiac Killer. That's it. that's the movie. Jake Gyllenhaal, Mark Ruffalo, and Robert Downey Jr just be like that I guess.

I will add - I think Arthur Allen as a suspect is probably the closest option out of all suspects the case has ever had. The fact he actually died before a possible final interrogation is mind boggling to me. We'll never know. He'll fade into obscurity like Jack the Ripper - already has, really. I still theorize that it was at least more than one person, or even people pretending to be the Zodiac - but I am definitely convinced that Allen is one of them.



My Rating: ★★★★★★★☆☆☆



Hollis Films Twitter

Friendly Fangirl Podcast YouTube