Pokemon

Pokémon is without a doubt a huge symbol in pop culture and an icon for Japan and anime. Spilling into different mediums and experiences, Pokémon has spent decades entertaining multiple generations and is a staple in every nerd's childhood.


I hear the word Pokémon and I immediately start singing the iconic theme song. The show is definitely geared toward kids, successfully enforcing values of friendship and perseverance. Every episode is usually centered around a different kind of Pokémon so we really expand our knowledge of these creatures every episode. When we're not gushing over Ash and his special Pikachu, we're being highly entertained by the blithering idiots we know as Team Rocket. I don't know what's more iconic - Katara's narration in the Last Airbender series opening, or the epic speech Team Rocket gives when they arrive on the scene to cause mischief. James is my personal favorite. I always find myself genuinely laughing at him and he's honestly one of my favorite anime characters of all time. 

The movies are a step up from the show. Rather than spending too much time on Ash and the gang and their exposure to different Pokémon, the movies try and give us an epic adventure with a high paced plot and high stakes at play. A lot of the movies also take time to spotlight some Legendary Pokémon. I don't fancy the movies too much these days, but I know they were very exciting when I was kid.


As a kid, I had a great card collection and enjoyed trading and playing with friends at school. These days, I've dabbled in the Pokémon Card Game Online. While everyone was floundering about on Pokémon Go, I stuck to the roots. I admit, it's a guilty pleasure of mine. But I still enjoy the game as an adult. Since I don't have Pokémon Go or any of the video games, this is usually how I kill time if I'm in the Pokémon mood.

Speaking of the video games, Nintendo is really great at giving these fun, immersive experiences every generation. Tough they're not near from perfect, these games are probably the superior Pokémon experience for all ages. Fans old and new can play these games and enjoy them all the same. I haven't had a video game since the DS days, so I'm very out of the loop. But when I have a Switch of my own instead of borrowing someone else's, I'll definitely jump on that band wagon.


Now when it comes to my favorite Pokémon, I have a soft spot for the older generations. Pikachu, Bulbasaur, and Charmander are so iconic. Squirtle specifically has a special place in my heart since I named my baby turtle after him. Houndoom, Charizard, Kangaskhan, Torkoal, and Lugia are amongst my favorite to play. Fire Pokémon and Legendary Pokémon are my favorite as well.

Shows, movies, card games, video games, books, plushies, apparel, other merchandise - Pokémon is undoubtedly a staple in pop culture and a very prominent franchise in the anime world. The Legacy of this show spreads all over the world over so many years, I am certain this universe will live on for generations to come.



My Rating: ★★★★★★★★★★