Yesterday (2019)


"A struggling musician realizes he's the only person on Earth who can remember The Beatles after waking up in an alternate timeline where they never existed."

- IMDB Synopsis



This came out shortly after Bohemian Rhapsody did and I just remember bio-pics having a little popularity by this point, with films about Elton John and Judy Garland releasing within the same couple of years. So Yesterday comes out as a celebration of the Beatles, just not the form of a bio-pic. This automatically makes it unique, not to mention the concept of the movie itself. Not that there was a logical reasoning as to why it all happens in the end, I don't think the real plot is meant to be taken seriously, and that's okay. It was just a fun movie exploring an alternate universe in which the Beatles never existed.

While it is a unique take on the butterfly effect, this was first and foremost meant as a tribute to the iconic band. No one can ever deny the cultural significance these 4 British men made for music, for Britain, and for history itself. Take that and a bunch of their iconic songs and apparently you have a movie. I'll admit, I sang along to most songs. The Beatles were way before my time, but I still grew up to be a fan. In a way, Yesterday was slightly nostalgic in that sense. 

Once the first act came and went, the entire premise that was so advertised in the trailers was complete. So as an audience member, you're left wondering "how are they going to turn this into a two hour film?" Well, they did just that with Jack's story arc. As he becomes a world renowned singer/songwriter, he's left with the basic issues that comes with fame - money, friendship, etc. This theme of the film was actually written really well. But if I'm being honest, I just came for the Beatles, so I honestly didn't care about the guy's troubles. I still enjoyed it nonetheless. 



My Rating: ★★★★★★☆☆☆☆